Monday, April 14, 2008

Allergies....OUCH!

I took Kelli in on Friday to get her shots so we could register her for Kindergarten. Being the good parent, I told her that we were going to get them and that they might hurt her a little. For some reason she was still excited to go to the Doctor and get her shots. Of course the nurse wants you to join in the fun and help hold your child down. The next thing you hear Kelli say is....OUCH............Ouch .. Ouch.. Ouch!! (That nurse was fast gave her 4 shot!!) Kelli looks up at me crying and said "That really hurt....I didn't think they would hurt....do I have holes in my legs?" Once they gave her a sticker and sucker...she was fine...although she informed me that she didn't want to get another shot and when she has to go back to the doctor, if she could just stay home!

So I was sick a while back and went to my nose,ears, & throat Dr. he told me it looked like I was allergic to something and that I needed to get an allergy test. I went in today for my allergy test.....for those that haven't had an opportunity to experience the fun, I'll describe it to you. They test for 48 allergens(that number will be important in a minute)....so she shows me 4 trays with the allergy compounds that will be tested on my back by taking little combs that scrape the skin...I thought that didn't seem to bad....so I laid there on my stomach for 20 minutes while the compounds reacted with my skin....if you are allergic they produce small welts on the skin (like a mosquito bite....and yes they itch)...so I had 15 that I was really allergic to and to make sure I wasn't allergic to the other 33 they do a second test on your arm. She told me she was going to make a pin wheel...sounds nice until she brought out 48 needles! Yes I had 48 shots in one little section on my arm. So I am allergic to 20 of the allergens and they'll make me a special allergy shot. Boy, I wish there was an easier way...and what is really sad before they'll give me the one shot I have to have another 20 shots in the arm to verify the test results...I'm starting to think the over-the-counter Claritin doesn't seem to bad! I came home and showed Kelli how brave mom had to be. She looked at me and almost started crying.....I reassured her I was alright!


9 comments:

Nate / Mary said...

I feel for you. I had that done when I was 15. It was awful!! I hope it feels better soon.

Sara said...

I also know how you feel! I had the test too and was on allergy shots for several years. One in each arm twice a week...fun!! My allergies are WAY better now though.

Shannon Martin said...

You are kidding me! I have often thought that I should go see a doctor for my allergies-NO WAY! That looks terrible. How long did it take? Tell me you didn't take your kids with you....
By the way I have to laugh I don't tell my kids where we are going until we are in the car on the way there and then they have to ask or they find out when I pull up. HAHA.

April said...

No, I didn't take the kids with me...Shane took the day off on monday. It took about 2 hrs for the testing. The shots weren't to fun but it wasn't to bad, you could to it Shannon.

Vicki said...

Wow April! I know you told me about it, but seeing your arm gives a whole different light about it. You're so brave!! I hope the one allergy shot works for you.

Kelly said...

No fun. And by the way, no, Yael is not farming, he's working on our septic system. All the fun of country living without the actual farming.

Melanie and Troy said...

Hey April! - That looks and sounded PAINFUL! You have such a cute family.

bledsoeblog said...

Oh, I feel like a terrible mother. I had Trey tested for allergies, although I don't think he had reached one year of age yet! (I pray he doesn't remember a thing!!!) I am so sorry you had to go through those shots, they look so painful!

Anonymous said...

Wow. Ok so I ran across your blog. Late, but first congrat on the baby boy. He really is adorable. And holy cow. Ouch. I WOULD have cried. shots are terriable. The just send shivers all over.